Tai Ping was founded in British Hong Kong in 1956 by brothers Lawrence and Horace Kadoorie and a group of international friends with the noble aims of developing industry and providing employment to migrant workers. While a small textile presence existed in the colony before Tai Ping, it was entrepreneurial Chinese refugees who modernised the industry with advanced equipment and expertise.
During this time, many international companies were setting up operations in Hong Kong, so it’s fitting that Tai Ping’s founding Board reflected the colony’s most prominent immigrant communities – Chinese, European and American – with the Kadoorie brothers acting as a bridge between them.
A humble 2-storey villa was the original home of Tai Ping, but a purpose-built factory soon followed as demand increased from around the world.
For more than six decades, Tai Ping has celebrated the philanthropic values of its founders by upholding a tradition of compassion for employees and community.